Urgent reminder to US citizens
The appropriations bill (S.1710) containing the provision that would mandate OA at the NIH is in trouble, and today is your last chance to ask your Senators to save it.
- What's the problem? Late Friday afternoon, just before the filing deadline, the publisher lobby persuaded Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) to file two amendments to the bill. One would delete the OA provision and one would significantly weaken it. The strategy appears to be to use the first in order to set up the second as a reasonable compromise.
- What can you do? Contact you Senators today. The Alliance for Taxpayer Access recommends contacting them before close of business today, while the American Library Association recommends contacting them before noon today.
- For more background, see the ATA call for action (blogged here on Saturday) or the ALA call for action. The ATA message includes a sample letter you can fax or email to your Senators. The ALA message includes talking points and a web form with an editable, default message for sending to your Senators.
- If you contacted your Senators before the Friday amendments were filed, please contact them again. The new message is to oppose amendments #3416 and #3417. If you haven't contacted your Senators at all yet, please do so now, by phone, fax, or email.
- Please act now and spread the word!