Saturday, December 17, 2005

OA project for LIS indexing student?

Here is an idea for an OA project which I would love to see an LIS student take on: create an index to Open Access News. This could be a popular tool! There is a lot of content there - perhaps this would be more suitable for group work?

Peter Suber Comment: Good idea, and I'll cooperate with anyone undertaking it. But if I may, here's an even better idea. Help me find a free or donated search engine better than the one I'm using now. I use the WebSideStory (formerly Atomz) free engine, which doesn't support Boolean searches or date filters. See it on the blog sidebar or here. I've priced the WebSideStory premium engine and let's just say that it's out of my league.
From: Open Access News

3 comments:

kg said...

"Comment. Good idea," writes Suber "and I'll cooperate with anyone undertaking it. But if I may, here's an even better idea. Help me find a free or donated search engine better than the one I'm using now."

I would like to say that is ANOTHER good idea not a better one. What is an index? An good index is using a controlled vocabulary. I often experienced difficulties to re-find entries in OAN and this problem would'nd be resolved with boolean searches and date-limits.

BTW: Why do we not have an open content database making available to a given keyword synonyms and system places in well known classifications like DC (in an old PD version)?

kg said...

More ideas:

Using categories (blogger.com doesn't support)

Using weblog tagging features (dito?)

Using a wiki for the indexing files.

Heather Morrison said...

hi kg - interesting ideas! I like the idea of using a wiki for indexing. Heather